The Recycler's Guide to Moving
and Relocating on Campus
If your University department or office is moving to a new location on campus, here are some things to keep in mind to minimize the waste impact of your move, and to help ensure uninterrupted recycling and refuse service.
Services are only provided to University-owned buildings. If you move to a private off-campus location, then check with that building's manager or landlord for recycling and waste handling services.
Before You Pack
Think carefully about what items you will take and what you will discard. Don't pack files and papers that you don't intend to use in your new location. In cleaning out your old office, keep the following in mind.
- Call Waste Management Services at 763-5539 for a consultation on what files, papers, books or journals can be recycled.
- One month before moving, request an additional wheeling cart from Waste Management to help sort materials in your office and haul to the loading dock for pick-up.
- Waste Management will not pick up materials from your individual office, but will from the loading dock of the building.
- Call Building Services at 764-0532 to request custodial assistance in cleaning out your office.
- Do an inventory of your office supplies. Try to use up supplies rather than move them, or offer them to other departments for reuse.
- Identify any unwanted but usable equipment or furniture to be taken to Property Disposition. Call 764-2470 to make delivery arrangements.
- Identify unusable and damaged items that will require disposal.
Before You Move
Planning ahead is the best approach to moving. Here are things to keep in mind.
Leaving your Old Location:
Arriving in your New Location:
After You Move
Keep up the recycling habit in your new location!
- Call Waste Management Services at 763-5539, so they can anticipate the increase in trash and recycling amounts and adjust schedules accordingly.
- Recycle all the cardboard boxes from your move. Empty boxes of packing material and contents, flatten, then bring them to the recycling dumpster at loading dock.
- Identify a new Recycling Contact Person for your department if needed. This person will receive updates about campus recycling and helps disseminate information within your department. Send name, address and phone number changes to Waste Management staff.
- Request At-Desk Recycling boxes for your office staff from .
- Contact Building Services at 764-0532 to meet the Custodial Supervisor of your new location.
- Schedule an educational presentation or brown bag lunch meeting to kick-off recycling in the new location. Waste Management staff are available to speak about waste reduction and recycling.
- Reduce "junk" mail. Now is a good time to ask companies to remove your name from their mailing lists. Waste Management can provide you with pre-printed postcards which ask companies to remove names from their lists. (and, don't forget to update your mailing address on mail that you do want to receive.)
Content modified: June 24, 2010